Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Poor Man In A Rich Man's World

I'm starting to think that I should just write frequently write little happenings instead of trying to come up with stories all the time. Day to day, there's very little exciting going on. I don't work, or really have any friends, so I mostly sit around and watch movies of episodes of Flying Circus on my lap top. Still there's been some development, and one exciting day since I last published.

I have found a place to live. It turns out that I am moving from the second richest area of Seoul to the richest. This is good... if you are rich. Where I'm living is a quick walk to school and in a much more interesting area than I am in now. Gangnam is apparently very popular with movie stars and the young crowd. Unlike where I am now, which seems to be popular with families and high schoolers. I will be paying $800 for a bachelor. There's no loft, no 15 foot ceilings, no massive window, no video intercom, and most importantly, no sexy talking doors. Just a small basic apartment in an expensive part of town where I will see movie stars that I will not recognize. Perhaps though, this could be where I meet Natalie Portman. It better be for $800/month!

I managed to get off my lazy ass and see some of Korea. I ventured out to Suwon to discover the Hwaseong Fortress. It's a 12km city wall around the a part of this Seoul suburb city with a population of around 1 million. It's UNESCO protected, cheap, easy to get to, and a day well spent, but surprisingly, most Koreans have not gone to see it. People here hardly leave their comfort zone. Though not as spectacular as the Great Wall of China, the wall is pretty neat. As they say, pictures tell more than words: