Friday, June 20, 2008

Feeling The Love

Many people enjoy the rewarding feeling of helping to shape the future of our world by influencing our young people to aspire to greatness. Though often very frustrating, teaching children can be a truly rewarding experience for those with patience and understanding. This past week I have learned that for someone as superficial and egotistical as I am, teaching adults is far more rewarding.

My first week at Pagoda I received several small gifts from students who wanted to show their appreciation of my efforts. Cookies, cans of juice, small pins, all very little things that meant so much to me. I even received a can of mango juice as a gift from a very sweet girl that's not in any of my classes. The little things make me happy, and the gift giving part of Korean culture is definitely something that I love.

My absolute reassurance for teaching adults began last Saturday. I blew off a soccer game to hang out with one of my students. It was absolutely worth it. Though Lauren is a sweet, funny and beautiful person, I was unsure how the day would go. I'm teaching lower level classes, so her English is not great, but she works harder than any of my students, often staying after class to do supplemental work independently. We ended up spending the entire day together in a traditional part of Seoul, checking out a palace and museum, and eating dinner. Before any of you start getting ideas, know that she's my student, has a boyfriend, and is moving to Australia in a month. That being said, I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a Saturday. It is great to be able to make friends with Koreans, something I wasn't able to do my first three months in here.

The gifts kept coming this week. After one of my evening classes yesterday, two girls who knew I was hungry but had another 2 hour class before I could eat ordered me to stay put in the 4th floor lobby. They came back 5 minutes latter with some some crackers and a latte they had bought for me. I don't drink latte, but the kind gesture melted my heart.

After my morning classes today, Lauren took me out for coffee (tea for me please) and gave me a great birthday gift. As I write this, I'm listening to the second of two cds full of Korean music. She spent time hand picking and downloading songs she thought I'd enjoy based on ... well she didn't really have a lot to base it on.

At noon I met up with an ajoshi (respected businessman) who is a student in my 7am class. Earlier in the week, he had insisted on taking me out to lunch today. Eating a meal in foreign culture that has strict rules with an ajoshi who is only learning to speak English is not the most comfortable situation. It is however, a show of appreciation that I will forever appreciate.

The respect that most my students show for me is remarkable. The few that go above and beyond are who make an experience like this truly rewarding.


Only In Korea

Not only is Lauren my favourite student, but she's one of my favourite people right now. I absolutely don't mean to make fun of her or embarrass her, but I really want to share this response simply to illustrate a cultural difference. Something that you'd just never say in the west is considered a compliment in this funny little place:

1. Talk about a famous or interesting person you have met.

When I went to pagoda for first class in this month, there were a lot of foreiner teacher and students. I wondered who is my teacher. Then I've met him on the 3rd floor in Pagoda. His head was more smaller than mine. ^^; and he has worn glasses so seems to be smart.He was Jay. He said he was from in Canada. He was first person who I met Canadian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Jay. Im glad your having fun in Korea! :) I miss you. 4 more days till school is over! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I like school. And I like my teacher Mr.B, he is REALLY nice and cool. We did drama today, but not for marks. Anyways he played a roll of a gay person. It was funny. I cant wait till I see you again. Mom and dad (well mostly mom and me) Can't wait till you come back. Dad thinks your the one thats makes the mess in the house. But thats me. hehe. I dont know when were going back to class. And this is a free perod. So... Im gonna go play some games with the time I have left. Ok LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE You! :) Bye
Baby

Anonymous said...

Hello young man!

I just wanted to wish you a very happy (belated) birthday! I hope your day rocked!!