Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Go Forth And You Shall Be Known As Emily

One of the greatest challenges to new surroundings is remembering peoples names. I've taught 8 different classes in a week so I think I can be excused with forgetting the names of the children for now. There are only 7 foreign teachers at the school, including myself, so I think a week is enough time that I should know all of my co-workers' names. Still, for reasons unknown I've been calling everyone Emily. It started with Kim then quickly moved on to Elizabeth and eventually spread like frogs had just fallen from the skies. I don't know any Emily's, and the names aren't even close enough for me to be constantly making the mistakes. Still, Emily, if you're out there, I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you. Also, please send pics.

Most Koreans have English names, but contrary to my assumptions their Korean names do not translate into English. The children actually get to choose their own English names. When I learned this I started thinking about how cool it would have been if I got to choose my own name when I was little and what I probably would have chosen. I would probably have a bland name like James or Gordon. These kids are clearly smarter than I was though... at least Dragon and Slime are.

In my class of 4 year olds, it's quite common for students to not have an English name yet. This makes it considerably more difficult to remember the kids, but I still try my best. Before my first class on Saturday, as the little people slowly filled the room and the tension of the nervous children grew, Dawn approached me telling me that one little girl didn't have an English name and her mother wanted us to name her. Initially I was quite overwhelmed, this is quite the responsibility. Then began to get excited, I actually get to name something more important than a plant (no disrespect Ashley). Deciding on the name, I asked the little girl what she thought of Emily. Her face lit up and so did my heart. I love my special little Emily.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how tempted are you to name a child "Superman" or "Spiderman" or even "Batman". I think you should start your class by name all the children after Star Wars characters.

Anonymous said...

So how about to name one of the girls as Lana ;-) Keep on writing and let us see Korea through your eyes. Take care hun. Kram. Lana

Alanna Foell said...

Hahah hey budddy! I'm gonna follow your adventures! Keep us up to date. My bf Dave spent a year in Xi'an, China teaching English and his stories are much like yours. Enjoy your time, learn lots and travel when you can!!!