Sunday, March 23, 2008

Week 3

I have now been in Seoul for 3 weeks, though I feel like I've been here for several months. As far as I know, the there's nothing that exists beyond the 1km stretch between work and home. On most days I begin work at 09:00 and finish at 19:00, sometimes without breaks. By the time I get home, I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I usually just eat, watch a movie and go to bed. I spend my weekends preparing lessons for the upcoming week, and doing a little cleaning in my apartment. I feel like I came all the way to the other side of the world just to be back at Corel. Before I came I heard so much about people having a great time teaching English overseas, but right now I'm failing to see how this is going to be a good time for me. It's not just me though, the other teachers don't exactly seem to be having a blast either. The one thing stopping me from looking for another job here is that my hours are supposed to be drastically reduced next month. Hopefully then I'll have some time and energy to see a little of the city and begin enjoying myself.

As far as my classes are going, I have some good days and bad days. I hit a low on Thursday when for two hours I had to deal with kids constantly bickering, getting up and leaving class, and a little girl crying at the top of her lungs. I don't really blame her though, I'd probably cry if i was the smallest kid in that class. I've talked to other teachers about these kids and they seem to just not respect foreign teachers. Of course, their teacher last year had a TA to help her. I really don't know why they feel I don't need TAs, but if things keep up, I will demand one and possibly leave if I don't get one.

To end on a positive note, the people here seem to be really friendly. Though English isn't common, there's usually somebody willing to help you when they notice you looking lost or confused. I had heard mixed reviews on the locals before I had arrived, but my experience so far has been very positive. I still maintain that this is a very easy place to live. At least my neighbourhood is, as it might be the most affluent in neighbourhood in Seoul. I don't really miss much from back home, especially after hearing how much snow has fallen on Ottawa. Aside from the people closest to me, the only thing I really miss is a sofa. I'm considering trading my elliptical machine for a good sofa to lie down on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya1 I hope ur having fun in Korea. Im at school right now, byt were having a free computer thing. :) I misssssssssssssssssss you! Im gonna go play some games. BYE :) <3

Love baby